Friday, September 11, 2009

Survivor Chronicles #4


"What Are You Trusting God To Do For You?"

I never forget that greeting made famous by Evangelist Manley Beasley. He preached it, he lived it, and he would look one directly in the face and challenge them with it.

Trust is just that – it’s TRUST: not a shred of doubt or dust of wavering, no shades of gray – it’s just plain downright ((( TRUST! ))). I know this, but if you are a new or are an undiscipled believer, you can learn from the Bible how to “trust in the Lord” with all your heart, soul, strength … in EVERYTHING in ALL THINGS, TRUST in the “ALL IN ALL.” Am I clear?

I have learned through many trials that we learn how to trust God by steps: some by large steps, others by smaller steps, but always faith is a gift from God that comes by hearing and hearing or reading is from the word of God. The Lord knows what each of us can take and will not let us fall when the Devil attacks, but will provide a way to escape – believe it. Having cancer is so much easier for me since I learned to trust.

I would hate it if, at some juncture of my pilgrimage, I should say, "Enough Lord, the enemy is too much," and find myself wandering in the wilderness for forty years as the untrusting tribal heads of Israel did at Kadesh. God sent to spy out the land that they were promised.

However, my present trial has reasonably good news to report. Before my fourth chemotherapy treatment this week, the PA reviewed the results of my recent PET scan. The tumor on my lung has been significantly reduced in size and the mass that was close to my spine and that appeared on my neck was completely gone.

I say "reasonably good news because it is not over, but I am grateful and I am waiting on the Lord for the next move, trusting wholly in the Lord, as did Caleb, I am like a gear shift, ready to be moved into "Drive."

I do not mean to imply that I have not had moments of concern. When we hurt, we register concern, which in turn is a trigger to get going on a plan. But I have also learned to “be vigilant; because [my] adversary the devil … “, seeks to ruin as many testimonies as possible and to destroy the cause of Christ (1Peter 5:8).

My Oncologists at the Kansas City Cancer Center must be pleased with my PET scan report: I have two more treatments spaced about two to three weeks apart. But I would not tell you that chemotherapy is a "walk in the park." It takes a good two weeks for my system to get back to a reasonable status before the next treatment,

This time it was a bit rough. I sat for six hours of IV intake as usual; a pleasant experience, but it hit me when I got home: flu-like aches and pains in every muscle and joint and even my hair hurt. I hate to take heavy pain pills, but this time I took the big pain pill. But it is survivable to those who have the survivor attitude of Caleb … and other bulldogs: Bulldogs are survivors! Grrrrr!

Some patients come for 30 minutes, others are there for various other amounts of time. It is not my intention to say that what I do is what you will experience. I only want to instill a lack of fear in that I went through difficult life-threatening illnesses, which are peculiar to me, only, and I survived and am surviving, because I am a survivor in His name.

I am presently at peace in the midst of probably the most severe trial, and Jesus is present and handling all of the controls and dosage amounts. Fear not, He is with us always and never leaves nor forsakes us - unless we allow fear to take over and the Bible records that “…whatsoever is not of faith is not of God” (Romans 14:23).

Please Note: Written on the night of President Obama's address to Congress on Health Care and I'm saying to myself, if this American Health Coverage is the best in the world, make repairs, but don’t chop it up in order to manufacture problems - fix it. That’s a vacuum salesman’s trick to get a sale. Once more: Don’t sell the Cadillac because the ash tray is full.

Helen and I thank you for your card, visits, and most of all for holding us up before the Throne of Grace.

============================================