Sunday, August 30, 2009

Survivor Chronicles #3


“GIVE ATTENDANCE...”
” to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee … Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all …[in the chemo treatment room]” (1Timorhy 4:13).

I suppose that some can read, exhort, and study while chemicals course through their bodies, but not me. My dosage is heavy and it takes four to six hours each treatment. I spend that time in a comfy recliner, close my eyes, and get some peaceful rest.

The treatment room is pleasant: It is large with three walls of windows on the ground floor overlooking a garden landscape. The room is filled with recliners and lots of cheerful daylight. It is peaceful and the caregivers, of compassionate Kansas and Missouri women, have a gift of making one feel special.

It’s amusing to me; the nurse holds a couple of chemical bags for me to read while she reads to me: my name, chemical name, potency and date; this before hooking them up to the IV tower. It’s like a waitress in a fine restaurant, showing a couple of wines for approval: “good choice.” But this treatment is a bit bizarre in the first place.

Extreme fatigue is the side effects of my treatments with flu-like aches and pains, which takes about two weeks to subside. I have a strong pain pill, but I have only taken it three times during these three treatments. But we are all different and what happens to me may not happen to others, but be prepared.

Chemotherapy has some positive effects. After losing my bale of frosty white hair, I discovered my ears: large pointed wings like Dr. Spock on “Star Wars,” and I don’t have to shave, whiskers just won’t grow – maybe slow-growing fuzz.

Just before the third treatment, the Oncologist showed the CTscan results, which was to determine the next step; to go ahead with the third treatment, to include some radiation, or to have further chemo treatments; the latter being the most encouraging option.

The scan showed a slight reduction in the tumor on my right lung and it also showed that the original visible cyst on my neck had disappeared. He prescribed three more treatments spaced every two or three weeks apart and to include another scan.

However, I am cautious. elation can be stressful and stress is stress. I am just praising God, but understanding that I still need to trust Him continually, because it is not yet over. I maintain a neutral mode to let the immune systems do what the Creator ordained them to do. Negative thoughts are from the Devil and will minimize healing.

However, Paul told Timothy to “Neglect Not the Gift that is in Thee.“ Being comfy-cozy in a recliner and taking a huge dose of chemicals does not mean that one should temporarily toss off the gifts that the embedded Holy Spirit of Jesus gives to believers. "… the gifts and calling of God are without repentance" (Romans 11:29).

I never did fret about what gift I have, as many do. I believe every believer has many gifts that the Holy Spirit will engage for appropriate action for an auspicious event. The main thing is to do something when the Lord says, “Get up: Go.”

A chicken farmer I knew who was so proud of his money selling chickens to restaurants occupied a pew on Sunday, but not much else. He told me that his gift was giving money to support the church and that’s all he needed to do… well, we wish him lots of “cluck.”

This is the perfect place to meditate on those things that come to me from giving attention to the great doctrines of the Bible. It is a time of peace, rest, and healing. I’m good for six hours of rest and meditation, even if I can’t read – but I will exhort if given opportunity.

Chemo and cancer are survivable. This is the perfect place to meditate on those things that come to me from giving attention to the doctrine of the Bible. It is a time of peace, rest, and healing. But do not let one negative thought from the Devil enter in.

”Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable [positive] in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).
===============================